IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP> Document-format attribute.. [ipp-

RE: IPP> Document-format attribute.. [ipp-mod] clarification

From: Hastings, Tom N (hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Date: Mon Apr 03 2000 - 20:36:22 EDT

    See my comments preceded by TH>

    Tom

    -----Original Message-----
    From: harryl@us.ibm.com [mailto:harryl@us.ibm.com]
    Sent: Tuesday, March 28, 2000 09:35
    To: Hastings, Tom N
    Cc: anthony.porter@computer.org; ipp@pwg.org; venky@teil.soft.net
    Subject: RE: IPP> Document-format attribute.. [ipp-mod] clarification

    I'm OK with the clarification. You are basically just adding the fact that
    the sniffing method is implementation dependent... right?

    TH> Yes.

    More important, to me, is to encourage that no client ever use
    application/octet-string when they are aware of and capable of indicating
    the correct document format in mimeMediaType!

    TH> I agree. I scanned the model document and found the following:

    3.2.1.1 Print-Job Response says:

    If the client omits this "document-format" operation attribute, the Printer
    object MUST respond as if the attribute had been supplied with the value of
    the Printer object's "document-format-default" attribute. It is RECOMMENDED
    that the client always supply a value for "document-format", since the
    Printer object's "document-format-default" may be
    'application/octet-stream', in which case the returned attributes and values
    are for the union of the document formats that the Printer can automatically
    sense. For more details, see the description of the 'mimeMediaType'
    attribute syntax in section 4.1.9.

    I think this is good enough. However, the word "recommended" wasn't in
    caps, so I'll change that with the RFC editor, ok?

    Tom

    Harry Lewis
    IBM Printing Systems

    "Hastings, Tom N" <hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com>