IPP Mail Archive: Re: IPP> Comments on snmpnotify version 2

Re: IPP> Comments on snmpnotify version 2

From: Ron Bergman (rbergma@hitachi-hkis.com)
Date: Wed Apr 12 2000 - 14:37:55 EDT

    Ira,

    See my comments below.

        Ron

    "McDonald, Ira" wrote:

    > Hi Ron,
    >
    > Should we take this spec out of the context of the
    > IPP WG entirely and work it as a separate (related)
    > issue in JMP?

    ron> I don't see any advantage to removing this from the
         IPP effort. We only need to add a justification if
         we decided not to support the full IPP requirements.
         I beleive that it is best to keep this within IPP.

    > I agree with you about jmJobState and xxxProcessed.
    > Obviously, it's much more compact to sent the
    > values for jmGeneralJobSetIndex and jmJobIndex as
    > part of the instance qualifier of jmJobState -
    > I got carried away.
    >
    > Also, as I mentioned to Dennis Carney in a recent
    > note on Tuesday (4 April), two other attributes in
    > the Job table (xxxPerCopyRequested) should also be
    > directly referenced (not recreated in Event Bindings
    > group).
    >
    > And by including all of the bindings from the
    > IPP Notifications spec for each of the four different
    > varieties of traps (device, job-state, job-completed,
    > and job-progress) we get (to my mind) traps which
    > are OBVIOUSLY not consistent with the SNMP philosophy
    > of lightweight trap bindings.

    ron> This is the basis of my concern! If we can get back
         to a "reasonable weight" trap I would feel much better.

    > In particular, I'm thinking that we should remove from
    > the mandatory bindings all the 'jmEventSubscriber...'
    > objects - they're too IPP specific and useless in other
    > contexts (every other job submission protocol in
    > existence).

    ron> Good! These two objects are strings, which could be
         very long. I will review the remainder and try to
         generate a list of any additional ones that could
         be candidates for removal.