IPP Mail Archive: Re: IPP> Re: Root OID for IPP Printer Sche

Re: IPP> Re: Root OID for IPP Printer Schema

From: James Kempf (James.Kempf@Eng.Sun.COM)
Date: Tue Apr 25 2000 - 18:43:18 EDT

    I think I understand now what some of the confusion around the OIDs taken
    from the SLP template conversion draft might be.

    I'm looking at an Internet draft, draft-sun-ldap-print-schema-00.txt,
    done by Ken Jones of Sun which appears to be a Sun-specific LDAP schema for
    printers, dated this Feburary. This draft has *ABSOLUTELY NOTHING* to do with
    draft-ietf-svrloc-template-conversion-05.txt, which is an official
    document of the SLP working group, on track for an informational RFC. As Ludovic
    pointed out, the fact that the OIDs were reserved means that they *WILL NOT* be
    used for anything else, and that they explicitly belong to the SLP working
    group to use in the RFC. Sun won't be using them or deriving anything from them
    for any internal purpose.

    If people are still uncomfortable with having Sun allocated OIDs in
    the schema, I have a request pending at IANA to get a special OID
    for the draft. I will not follow up on the request unless I hear
    some strong voices to the contrary.

    I'd also suggest that someone from the IPP group follow up with Ken
    and see whether he might not be interested in using the standardized
    schema (I'll try on my end as well).

                    jak