IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP> Re: Root OID for IPP Printer Sche

RE: IPP> Re: Root OID for IPP Printer Schema

From: McDonald, Ira (imcdonald@sharplabs.com)
Date: Wed Apr 26 2000 - 11:57:55 EDT

    Hi,

    Lots of confusion here...

    James - we already *have* coordinated with Ken Jones (Sun) about
    his original LDAP printer schema - Ken is a co-author of the
    SUBSEQUENT IPP WG blessed LDAP printer schema - one of the
    objections raised at IETF 47 to this later LDAP printer schema
    is that the Sun-specific object class (that Ken Jones contributed)
    must be removed from an IETF 'standards track' vendor neutral
    LDAP printer schema - we are now doing so.

    All - the principal author of the current vendor neutral LDAP
    printer schema is Pat Fleming (IBM AS/400 team in Rochester, MN)
    who maintains the database of LDAP schema and attributes for all
    IBM products (with the help of others, of course) and is quite
    knowledgeable about LDAP - both in theory and in actual practice.

    Pat is working on an updated draft - this draft will *remove* the
    use of the 'borrowed' Sun OID arcs (taken from Ken Jones' original
    Internet Draft) and leave them TBD (as is common in working drafts
    of IETF 'standards track' LDAP schema).

    The coauthors of the LDAP printer schema are:

    Pat Fleming (editor, IBM - for LDAP usage and class structure)
    Harry Lewis (IBM - for IPP WG coherence)
    Ken Jones (Sun - for Sun-specific issues)
    Ira McDonald (High North - for SLP 'printer' template coherence)

    We'll keep you posted. A new draft should be out very soon.

    Cheers,
    - Ira McDonald, consulting architect at Xerox and Sharp
      High North Inc