IPP Mail Archive: Re: IPP> TES: Mandatory IPP notification a

Re: IPP> TES: Mandatory IPP notification agreement

From: Michael Sweet (mike@easysw.com)
Date: Wed Jun 21 2000 - 10:56:14 EDT

    Carl-Uno Manros wrote:

    > Peter,
    >
    > As we all know, votes in IPP meetings can only be seen as
    > recommendations to the group.
    >
    > We need to get the hopefully final draft version of the INDP method
    > out, and then finally decide the matter on the IPP mailing list.

    My $0.02: CUPS will definitely have to implement the mailto:
    notification method, which has been used by both the Berkeley and
    System V printing from the beginning. EMail notification also does
    not require any extra client software to support it, so it makes
    more sense than INDP which will...

    My personal preference is that we mandate both - email is good for
    human consumption, and INDP can be used for GUI clients, etc. that
    need a more computer-friendly protocol (parsing email messages is not
    my idea of a fun software project :) That will make IPP notification
    immediately useful and provide a minimal level of support that IPP
    clients can depend on.

    Michael Sweet, Easy Software Products                  mike@easysw.com