IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP> OPS - Redirect-Job (a ka Move-Job

RE: IPP> OPS - Redirect-Job (a ka Move-Job) included in Job and P rinter Admin (Set2) spec

From: Hastings, Tom N (hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Date: Tue Jul 18 2000 - 20:00:45 EDT

    I agree with you that 'unknown' could be used with any "xxx-supported"
    attribute. Also we could define 'any' to be used with any "xxx-supported"
    attribute. (I see from a message from you that I just read you wanted 'any'
    to be available for any "xxx-supported" attribute).

    I think that the IPP WG felt that there was enough of a difference between
    'unknown' and 'any' to create a new OOB value.

    'unknown' means that the Printer doesn't know what the value is. However,
    the standard isn't clear how job validation works against a value of
    'unknown' on a Job Creation operation.

    'no-value' means the administrator hasn't configured it. However, the
    standard isn't clear how job validation works against a value of 'no-value'
    on a Job Creation operation.

    'any' means that any value will match and the presumably, either the
    implementation or the administrator has knowingly configured the Printer for
    'any'. And such an extension would clearly specify that any value supplied
    by a client would be acceptable. The only down side is that existing
    clients querying the Printer's "xxx-supported" will not know what this new
    tag value means and will not know how to display it to a user.

    Tom