IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP>NOT mailto feature from IETF meeti

RE: IPP>NOT mailto feature from IETF meeting (RE: IPP> ADM - The IPP Notification I-Ds will now go the IESG)

From: Hastings, Tom N (hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Date: Tue Aug 15 2000 - 21:09:29 EDT

    I'm neither for nor against having the client being able to request that
    machine readable option with mailto in addition to the text/plain.

    However, I think that one of the differences between the text/plain and the
    machine readable is that the Printer localizes the first (and has to anyway)
    and the Notification Recipient (email plug-in) has to localize the second.
    Some think that it is better for the Printer to localize, since it knows
    what state reasons it can generate. However, others say it is too much of a
    burden on the printer to localize to very many languages, so that the
    machine readable allows the Notification Recipient to pick up the slack.

    For example, a Printer only provides localization of Latin languages (or
    maybe only English). Then the Notification Recipient could do the
    localization for, say, Japanese. Another example, the Printer only provides
    Japanese in the mailto text/plain, so that the Notification Recipient could
    provide localization for any other language.

    Does allowing the Notification Recipient localize the messages make it more
    desirable to require the Printer to send machine consumable upon client
    request (in addition to the text/plain)?

    Tom