IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP>NOT mailto feature from IETF meeti

RE: IPP>NOT mailto feature from IETF meeting (RE: IPP> ADM - The IPP Notification I-Ds will now go the IESG)

From: McDonald, Ira (imcdonald@sharplabs.com)
Date: Tue Aug 15 2000 - 21:51:59 EDT

    Hi,

    Jay in his note below and many of the readers on
    this list keep confusing and conflating 'real-time'
    and 'machine-readable'. There is NO relationship.

    A client could want 'human-readable' status messages
    in near 'real-time' (and SNMP print clients get
    them every day today from private MIBs).

    A client could want store and forward 'machine-readable'
    notifications - invoking a reader that's generic
    across ALL client-side browsers, email readers, etc.
    on a given client operating system, similar to
    to Adobe Acrobat Reader - because that client COULD
    NOT get the near 'real-time' notification via INDP
    due to corporate security policies.

    Carl Kugler made the excellent point (adroitly ignored
    by others in replying) that typical corporate security
    policies completely prohibit HTTP Server side code
    in any system that doesn't meet the corporate definition
    of 'bastion host'. Let me be clear - in such an
    environment (the most common situation in mid-sized
    and large corporations worldwide) it is impossible
    for INDP to operate at all. And 'mailto:' is the
    sole RECOMMENDED alternative according to IPP folks.
    Of course, they could use Job Mon traps via SNMP...

    Cheers,
    - Ira McDonald, consulting architect at Xerox and Sharp
      High North Inc