IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP>NOT mailto feature from IETF meeti

RE: IPP>NOT mailto feature from IETF meeting (RE: IPP> ADM - The IPP Notification I-Ds will now go the IESG)

From: McDonald, Ira (imcdonald@sharplabs.com)
Date: Tue Aug 15 2000 - 22:32:28 EDT

    Jay,

    This whole argument is _very_ odd.

    The IPP Client ALREADY has to do client-side
    localization of ALL of the names of IPP attributes
    and the keyword values for many IPP attributes.

    The IPP Printer PRESENTLY never has to do server-side
    localization of any of those.

    Therefore, the plaintext body of the simple 'mailto:'
    notification CANNOT contain really useful localized
    stuff unless the IPP Printer assumes a very significant
    additional implementation burden (e.g, full POSIX
    message catalogs with substitution parameters).

    Cheers,
    - Ira McDonald, consulting architect at Xerox and Sharp
      High North Inc