IPP Mail Archive: Re: IPP>NOT mailto feature from IETF meeti

Re: IPP>NOT mailto feature from IETF meeting (RE: IPP> ADM - The IPP Notification I-Ds will now go the IESG)

From: Jay Martin (jkm@underscore.com)
Date: Thu Aug 17 2000 - 13:13:18 EDT

    Ira,

    > Note that Adobe Acrobat Reader is NOT built by MS,
    > Netscape or any other browser manufacturer. It's
    > just a simple application reader utility.
    >
    > [...snip...]
    >
    > NOTHING at all has to be done by a browser
    > manufacturer to enable this - it's just a new
    > MIME type that is connected to a well-known app in
    > the end user's environment when the end user
    > installs the reader app.

    So each and every desktop client will have to install
    this "free" software. Not exactly the kind of "standard
    infrastructure support" one typically expects today.

    > Among other useful goals, the current IPP Open Source
    > Client activity could quite easily produce and
    > freely distribute (like Acrobat Reader) this app.

    Interesting you should bring this up. How is this
    effort going? The last time I attended a phone
    conference on this topic (some months ago?), it
    didn't seem to get anywhere. Does anyone have an
    update on this?

    (I'd offer to do an Open Source IPP email notification
    applet/widget/whatever, but frankly, I'm up to my eyebrows
    trying to finish my IPP implementation...sometime in
    Q3 of 2007. ;-)

    > By the way, QualDocs is going to very badly need
    > machine-readable IPP notifications over email or
    > it's never going to work gracefully to extend the
    > current IETF Internet Fax standards - they're all
    > based on email notifications.

    Can you (or someone) give the DL a thumbnail sketch
    of the kinds of email notifications that must be
    delivered by QUALDOCS?

    I mean, are they as simple as "Job Done", or
    "Sorry, No Way". Or are they as fine-grained
    as "Now Imaging ScanLine #2438" or "Checking
    Available Toner Supply"?

    And does the IETF Internet Fax standards include
    machine-readable content or plain text?

            ...jay