IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP>NOT mailto feature from IETF meeti

RE: IPP>NOT mailto feature from IETF meeting (RE: IPP> ADM - TheI PPNotification I-Ds will now go the IESG)]

From: McDonald, Ira (imcdonald@sharplabs.com)
Date: Fri Aug 18 2000 - 21:25:42 EDT

    Hi Ned,

    Thanks - you're the only person who has reinforced my
    periodic comments that the I18N for the stuff in the
    'simple text' email notifications is a nice juicy
    problem - since IPP and most (or all?) shipping IPP
    Printer implementations define support for multiple
    human languages and charsets.

    And the fact that a client can ask for a notification
    in some other charset than UTF-8 further complicates
    I18N, because the obvious starting point (message
    catalogs in UTF-8) leads to smashed characters in
    many local charsets.

    I think the IPP 'mailto:' notification method should
    be a good deal more complete on this I18N topic.

    Cheers,
    - Ira McDonald, consulting architect at Xerox and Sharp
      High North Inc