IPP Mail Archive: Re: IPP>NOT mailto feature from IETF meeti

Re: IPP>NOT mailto feature from IETF meeting (RE: IPP> ADM - TheIPPNotification I-Ds will now go the IESG)] Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 13:03:45 -0600 From: David Kellerman <david_kellerman@nls.com>

From: David Kellerman (david_kellerman@nls.com)
Date: Thu Aug 24 2000 - 15:17:53 EDT

    Ira,

    > The current spec REQUIRES that particular notifications
    > convey the semantic meaning (at least) of various
    > IPP Printer and Job object attributes.
    >
    > That requirements CANNOT be tested in implementations,
    > because there is no discussion of how a human user
    > can possibly determine that the 'printer-name' value
    > is the next word in the notification content.
    >
    > The IETF has NEVER let a protocol standard advance
    > on the Internet 'standards track' (AFTER Proposed
    > Std) that contains an untestable MUST.
    >
    > To meet your (and other PWG members) desires, simply
    > delete all language about the content OR change it
    > be SHOULD (RECOMMENDED) and punt on testing.

    I know the IETF works in strange and wonderful ways, but I don't
    understand what you're saying. You're testing delivery of
    e-mail with human-readable content that is supposed to contain
    certain information. You run the software to produce the
    e-mail message, you hand the message to a human (who understands
    the localized language) to read, and they tell you whether the
    required content is present. End of test.

    If it were machine-readable content, you'd expect to be able to
    parse it mechanically. But it's not.

    David

    :: David Kellerman Northlake Software 503-228-3383
    :: david_kellerman@nls.com Portland, Oregon fax 503-228-5662