IPP Mail Archive: FW: IPP> OPS - 3 Options for Filters on Ge

FW: IPP> OPS - 3 Options for Filters on Get-Job-Attributes

From: McDonald, Ira (imcdonald@sharplabs.com)
Date: Fri Aug 25 2000 - 16:04:44 EDT

    From: McDonald, Ira
    Sent: Friday, August 25, 2000 1:01 PM
    To: 'Michael Sweet'; McDonald, Ira
    Subject: RE: IPP> OPS - 3 Options for Filters on Get-Job-Attributes

    Hi Michael,

    Thanks for your quick reply. I agree that #3 is the best choice.

    The encoding safety of Tom Hastings' (Option #1) pretty simple
    (ANDs and ORs) method using a new type of Group in the operation
    SHOULD be fine. But Bob Herriot and I are somewhat concerned that
    existing implementations MAY not be resilient to finding a new
    (and unexpected) Group in a received Get-xxx operation request.

    And there's a nice simplicity in taking LDAPv3 filter syntax
    and using it verbatim.

    A modest effort would be required to specify the canonical string
    encoding of all IPP attribute syntaxes (not difficult - mostly
    done already where they're used in the SLP/LDAP Printer Schema).

    Cheers,
    - Ira McDonald