IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP> IPP server needed

RE: IPP> IPP server needed

From: Mike Bartman (bartman@process.com)
Date: Fri Sep 08 2000 - 10:36:38 EDT

    > From: Michael Sweet [mailto:mike@easysw.com]

    > "Tri VU KHAC (SONY)" wrote:
    > >
    > > Hi folks,
    > >
    > > I'm implementing IPP client and I need an IPP server to be able to
    > > test my IPP client. Does anyone know where I can get it ?
    >
    > You might want to look at the list of IPP implementations on the
    > IPP web page at:
    >
    > http://www.pwg.org/ipp

    I'm implementing a client as well, and I did look there, and we purchased
    one of the listed printers to use to test against. Without naming any
    names, I'll just point out that not all printers listed there are 100%
    compliant with the RFCs. At least one is using an extended version of HTTP
    1.0, rather than HTTP 1.1, and this has caused me some headaches. The
    company in question has been attentive to the problem, and says they will
    look into correcting the problematic deficiencies, but it's worth noting
    that being listed on that page does not mean complete RFC compliance, so
    caveat emptor.

    One other comment. I didn't note anything in the IPP 1.0 RFCs that
    specified things like link timeouts. I'm currently fighting a problem
    involving a printer that times out and drops the link within a couple of
    seconds of opening it if there's no traffic. This may make it impossible to
    use this printer from anything other than a dedicated computer, as timing on
    a multi-user system is not predictable and things like queue printing tend
    to get low CPU priorities. I know that link level things are not really a
    part of a protocol like IPP, but it might be useful to have some "hints and
    suggestions" somewhere to cue server implementers into such potential
    problems.
    Just a suggestion based on real world experience with an IPP 1.0 (sort of)
    printer.

    -- Mike Bartman
       Process Software
       Principle Software Engineer