IPP Mail Archive: Re: IPP> REG - Proposal for "job-reci

Re: IPP> REG - Proposal for "job-recipient-name" Job Template attribute

From: Michael Sweet (mike@easysw.com)
Date: Thu Sep 21 2000 - 08:49:46 EDT

    "Manros, Carl-Uno B" wrote:

    > Mike,
    >
    > I may be stupid, but I have some difficulty to see why you have to
    > have a keyword to do these scenarios, it seems to me they can
    > equally well be done with a text string...

    They don't *require* it, however by using a keyword instead of a
    name you are informing the IPP server which type of name is being
    used. IPP doesn't really elaborate on what a user or recipient
    name is, and this ambiguity may make interoperability for these
    scenarios difficult.

    By defining keyword values for the recipient as well as a regular
    name value, you clearly differentiate whether the recipient is a
    single person or a (potentially anonymous) member of a group.

    Michael Sweet, Easy Software Products                  mike@easysw.com