IPP Mail Archive: IPP> ADM - IETF IPP WG Last Call for "

From: Manros, Carl-Uno B (cmanros@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Date: Fri Sep 22 2000 - 14:30:02 EDT

  • Next message: McDonald, Ira: "RE: IPP> ADM - IETF IPP WG Last Call for "Internet Printing Proto col (IPP) : The 'ippget' Event Notifications Delivery Method""

    All,

    Although I haven't got a lot of feedback on my previous note about this
    document, I would like to get the IPP WG Last Call started on the
    'ippget' Notification Delivery Method.

    The latest version of this document has been forwarded to the Internet
    Draft directory.

    Please note that this document was derived in part from earlier drafts
    on the 'ipp-get' and 'ipp-poll' methods.

    It is proposed to publish this as a Proposed Standard RFC, and it is
    proposed to be a RECOMMENDED delivery method, the same level as our
    previous two notification delivery methods.

    -----

    The Last Call notice follows:

    This is a formal request for final comments within the IETF IPP
    working group for one document. The document is:

    "Internet Printing Protocol (IPP): The 'ippget' Event Notifications
    Delivery Method"

    which is being proposed for forwarding on to the IESG for consideration as
    Standards Track document to complement the previous suite of IPP/1.0 and
    IPP/1.1 documents. This is a working group product, which has been
    thoroughly discussed since early 1999.

    Note that the "The 'ippget' Event Notifications Delivery Method" document
    is only one of several possible notification delivery documents on which
    the IPP WG has been working.

    The purpose of a working group Last Call is in the style of "speak now or
    forever hold your peace" in case there are fundamental objections which have
    not gotten previous or adequate discussion, or minor errors which need
    correction.

    Last Calls are for a minimum of 2 weeks. We will start the Last Call period
    today Friday September 22, 2000 and the period for working group comments
    will close on October 9, 2000 (US Pacific time reference).

    The document is:

            Title : Internet Printing Protocol (IPP): The 'ippget'
    Event
                              Notifications Delivery Method
            Author(s) : R. Herriot, C. Kugler, H. Lewis
            Filename : draft-ietf-ipp-notify-get-00.txt
            Pages : 23
            Date : 19-Sep-00

    The notification extension document [ipp-ntfy] defines operations that a
    client can perform in order to create Subscription Objects in a Printer
    and carry out other operations on them. A Subscription Object represents
    a Subscription abstraction. The Subscription Object specifies that when
    one of the specified Events occurs, the Printer sends an asynchronous
    Event Notification to the specified Notification Recipient via the
    specified Delivery Method (i.e., protocol).

    The notification extension document [ipp-ntfy] specifies that each
    Delivery Method is defined in another document. This document is one
    such document, and it specifies the 'ippget' delivery method.

    A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
    http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipp-notify-get-00.txt

    Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
    "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
    type "cd internet-drafts" and then
            "get draft-ietf-ipp-notify-get-00.txt".

    http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html

    Send a message to:
            mailserv@ietf.org.
    In the body type:
            "FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipp-notify-get-00.txt".

    ----

    Carl-Uno Manros Chair of IETF IPP WG

    Principal Engineer - Xerox Architecture Center - Xerox Corporation 701 S. Aviation Blvd., El Segundo, CA, M/S: ESAE-231 Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514 Email: manros@cp10.es.xerox.com