IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP> DRV - Client Print Support Files

RE: IPP> DRV - Client Print Support Files Internet-Draftdown-load ed

From: Manros, Carl-Uno B (cmanros@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Date: Wed Nov 08 2000 - 16:39:06 EST

    Mike,

    I am just responding to your very first question on why we want to do driver
    download.

    Your comparison of printers to servers and routers doesn't quite hold.
    When we developed IPP we had somewhat different scenaios in mind than the
    currently common ones where you might only be using a single networked
    printer somewhere on your office floor, and maybe a more advanced color one
    somewhere in the building where you work.

    The Internet part of the IPP name means that we are serious about moving
    network printing out of your own LAN and into the worldwide Internet. There
    have been intensive discussions about IPP's ability to replace the current
    use of fax, and the IEEE-ISTO PWG currently has a project on how to entend
    IPP to gracefully handle TIFF/TIFF-FX negotiation in real time to relieve
    users from having to download print drivers. In the meantime, and for
    traditional print formats like Postscript and PCL we are still stuck with
    the need to have a different print driver for almost every combination of
    printer model and client platform. If you really want to use IPP as
    replacement for fax and will start using it to send print data to a number
    of different printers around the world every day, then you start realizing
    why the IPP project sees the automatic download and installation of print
    drivers as an important requirement.

    Your points on the security aspects of downloading any code from a printer
    (or some referenced server on the web) are well taken and we may need to
    look more closely at that problem before we are done. Also, your point about
    more generic drivers that might be platform independent or rely on scripting
    or parameter files rather than complete unique drivers, needs to be taken
    into consideration.

    Thanks for your comments,

    Carl-Uno

    Carl-Uno Manros
    Manager, Print Services
    Xerox Architecture Center - Xerox Corporation
    Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514