IPP Mail Archive: IPP> Re: UPD> registered parameters

IPP> Re: UPD> registered parameters

From: Mark VanderWiele/Austin/IBM (markv@us.ibm.com)
Date: Fri Nov 10 2000 - 10:53:58 EST

    For me there is only one real option which is to keep the IPP and UPDF
    definitions in sync where they have common components and extend the IPP
    list where necessary.

    Note, IDs are good for fast matching, however we must supply enough
    information so that the system does not stop when it is presented with a
    new ID. For example I do not like systems which are completely reliant on
    predefined knowledge of form ID's and there sizes. When a new form or
    custom form comes along the system falls apart. More specifically, some
    word processors store the form ID returned from the driver in the document
    which may be a custom form and make no sense to another OS or across the
    network.

    Regards,
    Mark VanderWiele
    IBM