Below is the current list of simplifications and clarifications
to be made to SLPv2 (RFC 2608) before advancing it along the
Internet 'standards track' (from Proposed Std to Draft Std)
from Erik Guttman (Sun, IETF SLP WG chair).
Please note that in SLPv2 search filters (which have been full
LDAPv3 search filters), the concensus is that '!' (logical NOT)
will be removed. If/when IPP eventually incorporates a filter
mechanism for GetJobs (and GetResources?), it would be good
to be coherent with SLP mechanisms (which will remain a conforming
subset of full LDAPv3 filters).
- Ira McDonald, consulting architect at Sharp and Xerox
High North Inc
I want to find out where we were on the SLPv2bis discussion last Autumn.
Let's try to finish up the to-do list and then start an actual SLPv2bis
If I understand - this much we've agreed to:
- Eliminate AttrRqst by type.
- Eliminate wildcards in AttrRqst search filters.
- Recommend support for mesh SLP enhancement in SAs and DAs.
- Change scope configuration rules as per
- Eliminate SrvDereg tag list support (no incremental deregistration)
- Eliminate requirement to elide white space in string matching
- DAs SHOULD remain backward compatible to RFC 2608 features
This much we have only rough consensus on:
- Simplify Service Request filters. Eliminate support for '!' filter.
(At first we talked about deprecating '|' and arbitrary nesting,
but that position has no more defenders.)
- Create new SLP error code - SEARCH FILTER FEATURE NOT SUPPORTED
- PR list support RECOMMENDED (no longer required)
- change interpretation of service URLs to allow the use of service:id
so as to simplify rediscovery of the same service (after renumbering,
say) and discovery of services which have multiple locations.
Does this look like a complete list to everyone?
E r i k G u t t m a n SHORT msgs: email@example.com
Sr Staff Engineer, Sun Microsystems Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Eichhoelzelstr. 7, 74915 Waibstadt Germany Phone: +49 172 865 5497
This archive was generated by hypermail 2b29 : Tue Jan 02 2001 - 13:29:43 EST