IPP Mail Archive: IPP> The 'application/ipp' MIME Media type

From: Hastings, Tom N (hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Date: Tue Jan 16 2001 - 20:09:32 EST

    I just discovered in the IANA Registry of MIME Media types, that
    'application/ipp' has been registered with a reference to the RFC 2910.
    Here is the extract of the Registry:

    http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/media-types/

    In this sub-directory is a flat file:

    http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/media-types/media-types

    which contains the following entries (... indicates lines that I have
    deleted):

    MEDIA TYPES

    [RFC2045,RFC2046] specifies that Content Types, Content Subtypes, Character
    Sets, Access Types, and conversion values for MIME mail will be
    assigned and listed by the IANA.

    Content Types and Subtypes
    --------------------------

    Type Subtype Description Reference
    ---- ------- ----------- ---------
    text plain [RFC2646,RFC2046]

    application octet-stream [RFC2045,RFC2046]
                    postscript [RFC2045,RFC2046]
                    ipp [RFC2910]

    If you go down to the application sub-directory and click on ipp:
    http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/media-types/application/ipp

    you get just the line text file: See RFC 2910.

    We probably do need to send Appendix B from RFC 2910 to IANA as a mail
    message following the procedures for registration. Then when bugging on the
    application/ipp, the user would get the mail message with all the fields
    filled in, rather than just the single-line text message: See RFC 2910.

    Comments?

    Tom