IPP Mail Archive: Re: IPP> URL - Proposed conformance for IP

Re: IPP> URL - Proposed conformance for IPP URL scheme spec - 30 Jan 2001

From: don@lexmark.com
Date: Wed Jan 31 2001 - 11:58:11 EST

    Ira's proposal, in part, was:

    --------------

      5.2. Conformance Requirements for IPP Printers

       IPP Printers that conform to this specification:

       a) SHOULD reject received IPP URLs in "application/ipp" request
          bodies (e.g., in the "printer-uri" attribute in a 'Print-Job'
          request) that do not conform to the ABNF for IPP URLs specified in
          section 4.4 of this document;

       b) SHOULD return IPP URLs in "application/ipp" response bodies (e.g.,
          in the "job-uri" attribute in a 'Print-Job' response) that do
          conform to the ABNF for IPP URLs specified in section 4.4 of this
          document;

       c) MUST listen for IPP operations on IANA-assigned well-known port
          631.

       d) MUST NOT listen for IPP operations on any other port, unless
          explicitly configured by system administrators or site policies.

    -------------

    I believe we should change D to "SHOULD NOT." There are existing
    implementations whose out-of-box behaviour is to listen on multiple ports
    including 631. In addition, future implementations may provide different
    classes of service or provide other differentiation based on port number. For
    example a "Super IPP" implementation may provide additional functions in
    addition to IPP on say port 6310. We should not invalidate (i.e. make
    non-compliant) devices whose out-of-box behaviour is to offer IPP services on
    other ports as long as they do support 631.

    BTW: This was also the opinion of those in attendance at the last face-to-face
    meeting.

    * Don Wright don@lexmark.com *
    * Chair, Printer Working Group *
    * Chair, IEEE MSC *
    * *
    * Director, Strategic & Technical Alliances *
    * Lexmark International *
    * 740 New Circle Rd *
    * Lexington, Ky 40550 *
    * 859-232-4808 (phone) 859-232-6740 (fax) *