IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP> RFC 3080/3081 - BEEP (Blocks Exte

RE: IPP> RFC 3080/3081 - BEEP (Blocks Extensible Exchange Protoco l)

From: ned.freed@mrochek.com
Date: Mon Mar 05 2001 - 12:41:19 EST

    > Using NROFF my have cut the time RFC editor's time but it would have such a
    > crippled tool would have increased our development time tremendously.

    Personally, I disagree. I find richer document preparation environments
    annoying and counterproductive. A simple markup language is what I want to use,
    and I pretty much don't care which one it is aside from that. In the future I'm
    probably going to switch from NROFF to Marshall Rose's XML document preparation
    facility, but only after I write an NROFF output module for it.

    However, this is all very personal and it may well be that you are more
    productive in a richer environment. Nor did I suggest that you should change to
    using NROFF. I simply pointed out that your your choice of editing tools has
    an impact during RFC preparation, and that may be a factor in how long your
    documents spend in the RFC editor queue.

                                    Ned