IPP Mail Archive: Re: IPP> IPP-Server

Re: IPP> IPP-Server

From: Carl Kugler (kugler@us.ibm.com)
Date: Tue Mar 06 2001 - 19:24:33 EST

  • Next message: Hastings, Tom N: "IPP> DRV - What is the relation of Printer Installation Extension and IPP/1.1 printer-driver-installer (uri) Printer attribute?"

    --- In ipp@y..., lloyd.kauapundu@m... wrote:
    > Concluding from this and other documents I have read, an IPP-Server is
    > not really a server as such. Since IPP uses HTTP as a transport layer,
    > this implies that an "IPP-Server" will be hosted by a HTTP-Server. Which
    > means that an IPP-Server is actually a HTTP Server-Extension, such as
    > CGI or servlets. Am I right in this asumption, can an "IPP-Server" be
    > implemented as a servet that processes the Ipp-operations and
    > attributes? If this is not the case, can someone who has implemented an
    > "IPP-Server" let me in on how to go about this?
    > Lloyd

    Right, in the IPP Model there is no Server object type, only Printer and
    Job. The "server" is "simply that part of the Printer that implements the
    server side of the IPP protocol."

    Anyway, you can implement it as CGI or servlet, but be careful to host it
    in an HTTP server that supports chunked POST (most general-purpose web
    servers do not). There is an article in the December 98 or 99 issue of ACM
    StandardView that describes a CGI implementation.

         -Carl