IPP Mail Archive: Re: IPP> Minutes of IPP Working Group Meet

Re: IPP> Minutes of IPP Working Group Meeting [about Validate-Jobsecurity challenges]

From: Michael Sweet (mike@easysw.com)
Date: Fri Mar 16 2001 - 17:16:48 EST

    "McDonald, Ira" wrote:
    > I think we want to strongly recommend that IPP Clients use (and
    > IPP Printers expect to see used) the 'cnonce' option for better
    > authentication, in the IIG.

    IMHO, putting any restriction on the type of digest authentication
    to use is outside the scope of IPP - that's a HTTP issue, and the
    spec is fairly clear and would allow specific implementation or
    sites to require cnonce or other security features of digest.

    Also, cnonce does not eliminate man-in-the-middle attacks - you
    need to use the MD5-sess algorithm to prevent changing of the
    contents of the message body - cnonce only provides another bunch
    of data to be added to the password sum and is of limited valid
    if the server already provides random nonce values for each
    challenge.

    Michael Sweet, Easy Software Products                  mike@easysw.com