IPP Mail Archive: Re: IPP> Minutes of IPP Working Group Meet

Re: IPP> Minutes of IPP Working Group Meeting [about Validate-Jobsecurity challenges]

From: Michael Sweet (mike@easysw.com)
Date: Mon Mar 19 2001 - 08:53:09 EST

    "McDonald, Ira" wrote:
    > Also, RFC 2617 makes clear that protecting the content with
    > Digest (over the content and not just the headers) is still
    > WEAK security, at best. If you need real security, you need
    > a TLS session. Ain't no other way to get there.

    Right (one of the reasons we concentrated on getting TLS into CUPS
    rather than messing with MD5-sess, since it has broader support and
    is a better solution...)

    I was just pointing out that cnonce by itself won't prevent man-in-
    the-middle attacks since the content can be altered by an
    intermediary without detection by the server or the client.

    Michael Sweet, Easy Software Products                  mike@easysw.com