IPP Mail Archive: Re: UPD> Re: IPP> MED - Media Standardi

Re: UPD> Re: IPP> MED - Media Standardized Names Draft D0.4 down-loaded

From: Michael Sweet (mike@easysw.com)
Date: Tue Mar 27 2001 - 12:41:40 EST

    "Bergman, Ron" wrote:
    > 1. Roll paper was purposely omitted from the document. Refer to
    > the second paragraph of section 1.1, Scope. This decision was
    > made for two reasons; 1) it adds another level of complexity to
    > the document and 2) there appears to be very little interest by
    > PWG participants in roll feed devices.

    That's a shame, since roll feed devices are extremely popular and
    would benefit from some "standard" support.

    I'm not sure what additional complexity you see, aside from
    describing the min and max size of the media. Adding a "roll"
    media type will at least allow the media to be accurately
    specified - cutter control, etc. can be left to other attributes
    in other places.

    > 2. Since we have already "bit the bullet" and added Media Type
    > and Color, finish is a likely next step. Since my time is
    > currently limited and knowledge of this subject is minimal,
    > a volunteer is needed to provide the necessary input. So,
    > when can you have a draft? ;-)

    :)

    I'll be out of the office for the next couple weeks, so unless you
    can wait that long don't expect anything from me...

    > 3. Maximum and minimum values define a characteristic of the
    > printer and I believe this is way beyond the scope of this
    > document. The Printer MIB currently provides an excellent
    > source for this information.

    That may be true, but that doesn't help IPP clients... If the
    printer MIB defines attribute names, maybe we can mirror them
    here so that they will be used in other protocols with the
    same names and ranges?

    Michael Sweet, Easy Software Products                  mike@easysw.com