IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP>os-name for Windows ME

RE: IPP>os-name for Windows ME

From: Hastings, Tom N (hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Date: Wed Apr 04 2001 - 14:54:12 EDT

    Ted,

    I have no idea what the IANA registered OS name for Windows ME should be,
    but I'm copying Jeffrey Schlimmer at Microsoft who may either know or get
    the right folks at Microsoft to register Windows ME name with IANA.

    Jeff,

    Here is the info on IANA registered OS names. We have an IPP spec for down
    names are used in many other contexts as well. So it would be good if
    Microsoft would register its most recent OS names.

    http://www.iana.org/numbers.htm#O

    These are the Official System Names as they appear in the Domain Name System
    HINFO records and the NIC Host Table. Their use is described in [RFC952].

    A system name may be up to 40 characters taken from the set of
    uppercase letters, digits, and the three punctuation characters
    hyphen, period, and slash. It must start with a letter, and end with
    a letter or digit.

    The currently registered Microsoft OS names (from
    http://www.iana.org/numbers.htm#O) are:

    MSDOS
    WINDOWS-95
    WINDOWS-95-OSR1