IPP Mail Archive: Re: IPP> RE: UPD> MED - media names [fr

Re: IPP> RE: UPD> MED - media names [from IBM Omni]

From: iwauchi.nobuyuki@canon.co.jp
Date: Tue Apr 10 2001 - 22:09:15 EDT

    Hello Tom and all,

    I have some questions about the following cases:

    Q1: If a sheet is Photo Papar with tabs, what's a Media Type name
    (MEDIA_PHOTOGRAPHIC_LABEL or photographic or tab-stock) ?

    Q2: If a sheet is Photo Paper of a high gloss film, what's a Media Type Name
    (MEDIA_HIGH_GLOSS_FILM or photographic) ?

     I think it's better to add "high-gloss-film" to Media Coating Attribute (like a
    "glossy","high-glossy" etc. ), because "high-gloss-film" represent a coating.
    If so, I could specify a Media Type("Photogpaphic") and Media coating
    ("high-gloss-film") in the Q2 case.

    I'd like to add the following media types(*) and media coating (**) to existing
    list.

    Canon Media | media type | media coating
    High Gloss(Photo )Film | Photographic | high-gloss-film (**)
    Photo Paper Pro | Photographic | high-gloss
    High Resolution Paper | stationery(?) | coated (**)
    Back Print Film | BackPrintFilm(*) | none
    Fabric Sheets | stationery(?) | fabric (**)

    Refenced URL :
    Canon Paper <http://consumer.usa.canon.com/cgi-bin/inkpaper.pl?q=Y&c=Y&p=paper>

    Best Regard,

    ---------------------------------------
       Canon Inc. Tamagawa Office
       i Printer Development Center
       i Printer Design Dept.75

       Nobuyuki Iwauchi
         E-Mail: iwauchi@bpd.canon.co.jp
         phone : +81-44-844-2111
    ---------------------------------------

    "Hastings, Tom N" wrote:

    > Mark,
    >
    > Thanks for the specifics.

    > 5 of the 19 PWG Media Type Name list values are in the 25 names in the IBM
    > Omni list.
    > 14 of the PWG Media Type name list values are not in the IBM Omni list.
    > 5 of the 25 IBM Omni names are in the PWG Media Type name list.
    > 20 of the IBM Omni names are not in the PWG Media Type name list.
    >
    > Most the 20 IBM names look like they could be added to the current Media
    > Type Name and adding a description of each. The only ones that seem
    > somewhat orthogonal, i.e., could apply to a number of Media Types, are:
    >
    > /* MEDIA_GLOSSY */ "Glossy",
    > /* MEDIA_COATED */ "Coated",
    >
    > That is why we put these two into a separate Media Coating Name field in
    our
    > "all-in-one" proposal, since they could apply to a number of Media Types.
    >
    > Lets compare the current Media Type Name from D0.5 with your list:
    >
    > Media Type Name OMNI equivalent
    > --------------- ---------------
    > stationery plain
    > transparency transparency
    > envelope envelope
    > envelope-plain
    > envelope-window
    > continuous
    > continuous-long
    > continuous-short
    > tab-stock
    > pre-cut-tabs
    > full-cut-tabs
    > multi-part-form
    > labels
    > multi-layer
    > screen
    > screen-paged
    > photographic photographic-paper
    > cardstock cardstock
    > roll
    > and drop 'other'
    >
    > Lets compare your list with the current D0.5 Media Type Name list (I
    removed
    > the comments that were no more than the name).
    >
    > The "--" means not in PWG Media Type Name list
    > The "**" means not in PWG Media Type Name list AND seems a good candidate
    > for a separate field, so that it could be used with a number of other
    Media
    > Types.
    >
    > Media Type Name Omni
    > --------------- ----
    >
    > -- /* MEDIA_NONE */ realy means media default,
    > stationery /* MEDIA_PLAIN
    > transparency /* MEDIA_TRANSPARENCY
    > ** /* MEDIA_GLOSSY
    > -- /* MEDIA_SPECIAL
    > ** /* MEDIA_COATED
    > -- /* MEDIA_BACKPRINT */ "Backprint", type
    > used for Window
    > sitcker-print bacwards
    > -- /* MEDIA_CLOTH
    > -- /* MEDIA_THICK
    > -- /* MEDIA_HIGH_GLOSS_FILM
    > -- /* MEDIA_HIGH_RESOLUTION
    > -- /* MEDIA_SPECIAL_360
    > -- /* MEDIA_SPECIAL_720
    > -- /* MEDIA_PLAIN_ENHANCED
    > -- /* MEDIA_IRON_ON
    > -- /* MEDIA_LABECA
    > -- /* MEDIA_THERMAL
    > -- /* MEDIA_CD_MASTER */ "CD-master", CD or
    > CD label
    > cardstock /* MEDIA_CARDBOARD
    > -- /* MEDIA_POSTCARD
    > photographic /* MEDIA_PHOTOGRAPHIC_PAPER
    > -- /* MEDIA_PHOTOGRAPHIC_LABEL
    > /* MEDIA_PREMIUM_PAPER
    > -- /* MEDIA_PHOTOGRAPHIC_PAPER (duplicate?)
    > envelope /* MEDIA_ENVELOPE
    > -- /* MEDIA_OTHER
    >
    > So there are a lot of "--" meaning types that aren't in the Media Type
    Name