IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP> Minutes of telecon to decide on P

RE: IPP> Minutes of telecon to decide on PWG Media Size syntax, W ed, May 2

From: Herriot, Robert (Robert.Herriot@pahv.xerox.com)
Date: Wed May 02 2001 - 23:12:06 EDT

    Today we discussed adding media-type values, such as stationary-recycled and
    stationary-bond.

    If we add stationary-recycled, we have now created two ways to specify
    recycled media: one with the media-recycled attribute and the other with a
    new value of media-type.

    This solution creates an interoperability nightmare.

    Some clients will understand media-recycled=standard and not
    media-type=stationary-recycled. Other clients will be the opposite. The same
    is true for printers. So, even though both a client and a printer support
    recycled media, they may be unable to communicate about it because they have
    implemented recycled media in a way that the other doesn't support. If a
    printer implements both, the following combinations must mean recycled:

      media-recycled=standard and media-type=unspecified
      media-recycled=standard and media-type=stationary
      media-recycled=standard and media-type=stationary-recycled
      media-recycled=none and media-type=stationary-recycled
      media-recycled=unspecified and media-type=stationary-recycled.

    Is this what we really want?

    The same problem occurs with bond if it comes through JDF which has bond as
    a value of media-stock. It is not a problem with IPP.