IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP> global media ... [put units field

RE: IPP> global media ... [put units field last]

From: Thomas, John (jct@sharplabs.com)
Date: Fri May 04 2001 - 12:13:15 EDT

    What if the USA (finally) went metric?

    John
    jct@sharplabs.com

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Harry Lewis [mailto:harryl@us.ibm.com]
    Sent: Friday, May 04, 2001 8:27 AM
    To: Bergman, Ron
    Cc: 'don@lexmark.com'; Hastings, Tom N; ipp (E-mail)
    Subject: RE: IPP> global media ... [put units field last]

    New classes are highly unlikely in my opinion. Discrete units does have
    the advantage you mention of forward migration. Thus,

    class_name_dim_unit

    is preferred.
    Harry Lewis
    IBM Printing Systems

    "Bergman, Ron" <Ron.Bergman@Hitachi-hkis.com>
    05/04/2001 09:25 AM

            To: "'Harry Lewis'" <harryl@us.ibm.com>, "Bergman, Ron"
    <Ron.Bergman@Hitachi-hkis.com>
            cc: "'don@lexmark.com'" <don@lexmark.com>, "Hastings, Tom N"
    <hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com>, "ipp (E-mail)" <ipp@pwg.org>

    Harry,

    I would agree with you 100% if the list of classes were fixed or there was
    no possiblity of new units of measure. In fact this was the basis of my
    original proposal. Since the possiblity of new units of measure is now a
    reality and we can never guarantee no new classes, we must uniquely
    identify
    the units. If a new class is defined and it uses one of the existing
    units,
    a client must be updated to be able to use the new class. If the units
    are
    explicit, the client just ignores the class. The only time the client has
    problem is when a new class with new units is defined.

                     Ron