IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP> Comments on Media Size Objectives

RE: IPP> Comments on Media Size Objectives

From: Wagner,William (wwagner@netsilicon.com)
Date: Thu May 10 2001 - 14:07:22 EDT

    Tom,

    I generally agree with Harry. The objectives sound more like a
    justifications and implementation considerations for what has been decided
    rather than basic objectives. The point may be moot now, but I seem to
    recall the objective was to list standard names. Having information in the
    names that allowed size determination of unrecognized names was an added
    feature. Then having the names human readable as a fallback was added still
    later. I suggest a simpler set of objectives (not implementation
    details)reflecting what we have been hearing is:

            1. Intent is program to program communication of media names. It is
    not intended for use as internal
    representation within a program.

          2. Names are to contain size information so that Recipient Software
    that receives an unrecognized name can still determine the intended size.
    Constraints and limitations include cut sheet only, definition of only
    English and Metric dimensional units, restrict the names to use the
    characters for IPP keywords

            3. Although primarily intended for machine readability, Names
    should have some relation to common names. Also, Names should be structured
    to present some useful information if presented directly to a user when the
    names are not recognized by the machine.

    This base objective and two added-on objectives are addressed by Harry's
    comment. This is a solution not an objective.

    "The "Standard Media Name" will contain 3 parts,
            1. Naming Authority
            2. Name
            3. Dimension"

    We can add objectives:

          10. Be able to register additional Media Names [naming authority?;
    units?] after the standard is approved.

          12, 13 Design the syntax to facilitate Client Software and Recipient
    Software parsing

    With respect to vendor specific ID, Harry and Ira's suggestion sounds good.
    I would suggest that:

    1. Since the vendor/organization is the naming authority, I suggest that
    this term be considered the "class".
    In the much more likely event that the vendor-specific name is not
    recognized, the application would display vendor as well as the other name
    parts. I suggest that any time the name is not machine recognized, the class
    would be displayed.

    2. If the vendor ID is regarded as a class, then I suggest that the class
    should be delineated as a separate field

    3. If the 'x-nnn" form is used, then having the nnnxmmm for size is
    confusing and the nnn-mmm form is preferable