IPP Mail Archive: IPP> RE: IFX> ippget Spec Change Request

IPP> RE: IFX> ippget Spec Change Request

From: mjoel@netreon.com
Date: Wed Jul 11 2001 - 21:01:34 EDT

    Hi Tom,

    Thanks for your comments. I'm glad to know the spec can still be changed,
    although Ira raised a good point, that we shouldn't break existing ippget
    implementations.

    Regarding notify-no-wait, I thought about having the printer just
    disconnect, but then the client would probably reconnect immediately. The
    spec says that suggested-ask-again-time-interval is only for
    notify-no-wait=true or server-error-busy, so that seems to mean that for
    notify-no-wait=false, if the printer disconnects, the client should just
    reconnect without waiting. It would be nice if the printer could return
    events with server-error-busy, but that might confuse existing ippget
    clients. The spec seems vague regarding if that is possible. What I don't
    want to see happen is for a client to hammer on a printer that either
    doesn't support pushing or that has a limited number of sockets it will tie
    up for pushing. I think it's a bad assumption that if the client keeps
    getting server-error-busy every time it asks for notify-no-wait=false, it
    will try notify-no-wait=true, although that would be another solution.

    Marty

    "Hastings, Tom N" <hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com> on 07/11/2001 04:59:34 PM