IPP Mail Archive: Re: IPP> FW: [Srvloc-discuss] [Multiple re

Re: IPP> FW: [Srvloc-discuss] [Multiple registrations for a single print device]

From: Michael Sweet (mike@easysw.com)
Date: Mon Jul 16 2001 - 09:13:15 EDT

    "McDonald, Ira" wrote:

    > Hi folks,
    >
    > This thread has been going for several weeks on the SLP mailing
    > list. Could IPP implementors who plan to support SLP (at some
    > point) please participate (here on the IPP list and _then_ on
    > the SLP list)?
    >
    > This is the same phantom issue that wasted three months in late
    > 1999 on the SLP and IPP lists. The PWG concensus at that time
    > was _one_ registration for _one_ print device.

    FWIW, the current SLP integration with CUPS (hopefully to be released
    in the next patch update, e.g. 1.1.10) provides one registration for
    each local print queue on the system, e.g.:

        ipp://address/printers/MyPrinter1
        ipp://address/printers/MyPrinter2
        ipp://address/printers/MyPrinter3
        ipp://address/printers/MyPrinter4

    We don't try to enumerate all of the possible addresses (e.g. from
    multiple interfaces), although that might be added in a future
    version.

    Michael Sweet, Easy Software Products                  mike@easysw.com