IPP Mail Archive: Re: IPP> NOT - substantive clarification a

Re: IPP> NOT - substantive clarification about order Printer sends Event N otifications

From: mjoel@netreon.com
Date: Mon Jul 16 2001 - 14:25:29 EDT

    Hi Tom, et al,

    The whole purpose of defining an event order seems to be to make coding
    easy for the client implementors, at the expense of the server
    implementors. I'm wearing both hats, so it's all the same to me. I
    suppose that theoretically there could be more client than server
    implementations, which might be the only rational for all this. As I see
    it, for implementing a client, it's as difficult to handle the events
    grouped by subscription as it would be if the event order was random. For
    that reason, I propose that algorithm option (a) below be discarded.

    If I was to decide between forcing the events to be in chronological order
    (option (b) below) or that they be random (implementation-specific), I
    would choose random. I think it is more important that the server be able
    to process requests as quickly as possible, than to make it easy for the
    client impementors to code. If sorting is to be done, for performance
    reasons it makes more sense to me that it be done at the client.

    For these reasons, and for the fact that existing implementations may be
    ordering events differently than the proposals below, I propose that the
    specifications be changed to state that the event order is determined by
    the implementation, and that if the client needs them chronological it
    should sort them.

    Regards,

    Marty Joel

    "Hastings, Tom N" <hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com>@pwg.org on 07/16/2001