IPP Mail Archive: Re: IPP> NOT - 6 Notification ISSUES Agend

Re: IPP> NOT - 6 Notification ISSUES Agenda: Telecon Wed 7/18, 10-11 PDT (1-2EDT )

From: Michael Sweet (mike@easysw.com)
Date: Wed Jul 18 2001 - 10:28:00 EDT

    mjoel@netreon.com wrote:
    > MJ> I've got some real problems with the whole PUSH issue for ippget.
    > >From a design perspective it's probably cut and dry, but I'm losing hair
    > trying to implement this. Specifically:
    > a) How am I supposed to handle HTTP's Content-Length?

    You almost certainly will have to use the chunked transfer encoding
    instead of a fixed Content-Length.

    > b) Won't this only work with HTTP's Keep-Alive?

    Yes, but that is the default for HTTP/1.1...

    > c) Can this even work with HTTP 1.0?

    Not an issue - IPP requires HTTP/1.1 for conformance.

    > d) How is the client supposed to know when it's done receiving some
    > events? If clients used Content-Length before, now do they have to add a
    > timeout?

    The client has to look for the IPP end-tag, as each collection of
    events will have its own header, etc. (unless I'm misunderstanding
    the spec?)

    Michael Sweet, Easy Software Products                  mike@easysw.com