IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP> FW: [Srvloc-discuss] [Multiple re

RE: IPP> FW: [Srvloc-discuss] [Multiple registrations for a singl e print device]

From: McDonald, Ira (imcdonald@sharplabs.com)
Date: Sun Jul 22 2001 - 18:08:57 EDT

    Hi James,

    I have been thinking that there are three kinds of automatic shadowing
    that an SLP DA might use to discovered (via DNS, DHCP, or SLP) LDAP
    servers:

    1) For IANA registered well-known templates (e.g., 'service:printer')
        with standard translations (e.g., the LDAP Printer Schema that
        Pat Fleming and I wrote), do INTELLIGENT shadowing according to
        a configured policy - e.g., attach the LDAP Printer aux class to
        the matching (same 'lpr:' URL) already configured LDAP DMTF
        CIM_Printer logical device, instead of creating a brand new
        LDAP Printer object for the shadow copy.

    2) For IANA registered well-known templates ONLY (not privates)
        without standard translations, according to configured policy
        do simple rule-based shadowing according to RFC 2926. Due to
        administrative configuration, the LDAP server should already
        know about the resulting LDAP object class, so that the SLP DA
        need not register the object class and _then_ the instance with
        the LDAP server.

    3) For private templates (unknown to the SLP DA), according to a
        SEPARATE configured policy, do simple rule-based shadowing
        according to RFC 2926. This is probably the worst case -
        because the LDAP server probably won't know about the object
        class.

    Now, about where to configure the shadowed objects in the LDAP tree:

    [We had an interesting brief chat with Hugo Parra and Ted Tronson
    of Novell about this last week - they also think auto-shadowing
    into LDAP objects is tricky to very difficult, so you're not alone.]

    Why not copy the advertised SLP scope names (which are generally
    geographic and/or organizational in realistic use cases) into
    a concatenated single string (say with hyphens between) and use
    that value for an 'ou=' (Organizational Unit) LDAP attribute,
    to place the advertised service (e.g., a printer) into the
    organizational subtree of the enterprise network (as opposed
    to the user subtree, where the LDAP Printer aux class is useful)?

    Comments?

    Cheers,
    - Ira McDonald