IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP> FW: [Srvloc-discuss] [Multiple re

RE: IPP> FW: [Srvloc-discuss] [Multiple registrations for a single print device]

From: James Kempf (James.Kempf@Sun.COM)
Date: Mon Jul 23 2001 - 12:02:30 EDT

    Scope names allow ".", so you could compose a hierarchy. On the other
    hand, there is no intrinsic support for hierarchy. It would be
    a naming convention.

                    jak

    <imcdonald@sharplabs.com>, <James.Kempf@Sun.COM>
    >Cc: <ipp@pwg.org>
    >Subject: RE: IPP> FW: [Srvloc-discuss] [Multiple registrations for a single
    print device]
    id IAA18768

    >Ira wrote ...
    >
    >> Why not copy the advertised SLP scope names (which are generally
    >> geographic and/or organizational in realistic use cases) into
    >> a concatenated single string (say with hyphens between) and use
    >> that value for an 'ou=' (Organizational Unit) LDAP attribute,
    >> to place the advertised service (e.g., a printer) into the
    >> organizational subtree of the enterprise network (as opposed
    >> to the user subtree, where the LDAP Printer aux class is useful)?
    >
    >I might be showing my ignorance here, but I'd expect most 'ou' names to be
    hierarchical (e.g., "ou=dev.provo.novell"). Can SLP scope names be hierarchical
    as well (i.e., is there a character set aside to denotate hirerarchical levels)?
     Notice that something like "scope=dev" would not be sufficient and
    "scope=dev-provo-novell" might not provide a reliable mapping either as the
    hyphen is commonly use in the naming of objects. Thus, does
    "scope=bldg-h-provo-novell" translate into "ou=bldg-h.provo.novell" or
    "ou=bldg.h.provo.novell"?