IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP> NOT - More about ISSUE 08: Sender

RE: IPP> NOT - More about ISSUE 08: Sender MAY include list of s ubscription ids and sequence numbers

From: McDonald, Ira (imcdonald@sharplabs.com)
Date: Tue Jul 31 2001 - 11:02:28 EDT

    Hi Michael,

    Comments in your note below.

    Cheers,
    - Ira McDonald

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Michael Sweet [mailto:mike@easysw.com]
    Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2001 8:36 AM
    To: Hastings, Tom N
    Cc: ipp (E-mail); ipp@webpageassembler.com
    Subject: Re: IPP> NOT - More about ISSUE 08: Sender MAY include list of

    "Hastings, Tom N" wrote:
    > 5. Add "notify-search" (boolean) operation attribute, 'true' means that
    the
    > Printer searches Subscription Objects to match the uri when the
    > "notify-subscription-ids" is supplied. If "notify-subscription-ids" isn't
    > supplied, then the Printer always does search to match URIs.

    MS> I'm not sure what benefit this will add - if you have multiple
        subscriptions, you probably will either have a common recipient
        URI or the subscription IDs themselves, so why would support for
        both be needed?

    <ira> Marty describes the following scenario. A Notification
    Recipient (NOT the job originator, maybe your secretary)
    issues Get-Subscriptions with a known "notify-recipient-uri"
    (e.g., your secretary's 'mailto:' address in 'ippget:' form).
    Subsequently this Notification Recipient issues periodic
    (polling) Get-Notifications with the explicit list, but wants
    to ALSO find any new subscriptions.

    <ira> I'm not entirely sure I like this optimization. At any
    point, this Notification Recipient can re-issue Get-Subscriptions
    and do the search. Adding the optional search (even when the
    "notify-subscription-ids" operation attribute is supplied) seems
    like a questionable optimization to me. I think this kind of
    "third-party" Notification Recipient (not the job originator)
    should probably do periodic Get-Subscription operations anyway.

    Michael Sweet, Easy Software Products                  mike@easysw.com