IPP Mail Archive: IPP> NOT - ISSUE 10: OK to change IPPGET &

From: Hastings, Tom N (hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Date: Tue Jul 31 2001 - 21:29:31 EDT

    ISSUE 10: OK to change IPPGET "ippget-event-time-to-live" to
    "ippget-event-lease-duration"?

    We made an improvement on this attribute from "begin-to-expire-time-interval
    (integer(0:MAX)) to "ippget-event-time-to-live" However, "time-to-live" is
    really a hop count in Internet Protocols and not a time at all. Also the
    IPPGET spec carefully defines the following terms:

            Event Notification Lease: The lease that is associated with an Event
    Notification. When the lease expires, the Printer discards the associated
    Event Notification.
            Event Notification Lease Time: The expiration time assigned to a
    lease that is associated with an Event Notification.

    To be complete, we probably need to add the term:
            Event Notification Lease Duration: The duration in seconds of a
    lease that is associated with an Event Notification.

    However, the attribute description doesn't reference these terms and should.
    Also the name of the attribute should use these terms too. So change the
    name again from "ippget-event-time-to-live" to
    "ippget-event-lease-duration".

    Here is the improved description as well:

            This Printer Description attribute specifies the Printer's Event
    Notification Lease Duration, i.e., the number of seconds that a Printer
    keeps an Event Notification that is associated with the 'ippget' Delivery
    Method.

    Comments?

    Tom