IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP> NOT - ISSUE 05 [return successful

RE: IPP> NOT - ISSUE 05 [return successful-ok-events-complete']

From: Hastings, Tom N (hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Date: Wed Aug 01 2001 - 16:27:40 EDT

    Michael,

    I goofed in my reply about case (b) returning the "notify-get-interval".
    Case (b) returns the new 'successful-ok-events-complete' status code and
    MUST NOT return the "notify-get-interval" as you have pointed out (and is
    the way we wrote up the complete proposal).

    I also agree that we need to be very clear and explicit, so this back and
    forth is good to get it right.

    I should have said about case (b):

    TH> Our intent of the proposed resolution of ISSUE 05 was (b), except for
    the "close the connection" part. The Printer doesn't close the connection.
    If the Printer sends back a response and immediately closes the connection,
    the response may not get to the client. The Printer just returns the
    'successful-ok-events-complete' status code to the client which is a hint to
    the client that the client should consider closing the connection (after
    getting the response). Otherwise, the Printer MAY close the connection if
    connections are getting tight. However, both the client and the Printer MAY
    keep the connection open, just as for any IPP operation and the client MAY
    try a Get-Notifications operation (or any other operation) any time later.

    You've indicated agreement on not saying that the Printer closes the
    connection.

    So I think we are in agreement on case b being the desired behavior,
    correct?

    Thanks,
    Tom