IPP Mail Archive: IPP> Multipart Chunked Keep-Alive?

IPP> Multipart Chunked Keep-Alive?

From: Marty Joel (mjoel@netreon.com)
Date: Sat Aug 04 2001 - 05:26:33 EDT

    Hello all,

    I'm a bit rusty on HTTP, so maybe someone can help me out. Please correct
    me if I'm wrong below.

    A Sender may choose to use keep-alive (not use Connection: Close), and
    doing so allows a connection to be reused for one request/reply after
    another, each preceded by HTTP header lines and a blank line. Either side
    may end a TCP connection (keep-alive or otherwise) by cleanly closing the
    connection (using a handshaked close to prevent the long abnormal close
    timeout period).

    A wait-mode Get-Notifications (that honors the wait-mode request) will
    reply with an HTTP multipart header, followed by 1 part for the initial
    reply, and another part as each event occurs.

    So if a Sender has a connection open using keep-alive, and among the
    requests sends a request for a wait-mode Get-Notifications, I suppose it's
    safe to assume that the Sender won't be sending another request until the
    Receiver tells the sender that there are no more events, after which the
    Sender may send another request.

    In the non keep-alive case of a wait-mode Get-Notifications, after the
    Receiver sends the last reply (that says there are no more events or that
    it's ending wait-mode), the Receiver (cleanly) closes the connection.

    Where does HTTP's chunked fit into this? As I understand it, chunking is
    used when a large amount of data must be sent in a single HTTP request or
    reply, where each chunk is preceded by a chunk header that contains the
    number of bytes in the following chunk. Chunked would typically only be
    used when sending a document.

    Can multipart and chunking coexist?

    Marty