IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP> Re: NOT - ISSUE 04 in the IPPGET

RE: IPP> Re: NOT - ISSUE 04 in the IPPGET spec [Printer closing o utbound channel connection only]

From: McDonald, Ira (IMcDonald@crt.xerox.com)
Date: Mon Aug 06 2001 - 13:09:02 EDT

    Hi Marty,

    IPP is a transport NEUTRAL protocol. Depending on the unique
    behavior of TCP (support for half connections) is NOT suitable
    for IPP (and thus for IPP Fax).

    IPP has a very good chance of turning up in mobile (cell/PDA/etc)
    environments in the future IF we do not screw up and force a
    particular transport mapping. Neither HTTP/1.1 nor TCP should
    be impacting the protocol neutral specification of IPP.

    Cheers,
    - Ira McDonald, consulting architect at Sharp and Xerox
      High North Inc