IPP Mail Archive: IPP> NOT - Clients shouldn't use persisten

From: Hastings, Tom N (hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Date: Tue Aug 14 2001 - 14:34:26 EDT

    This practical considerations holds for any IPP operations, not just
    Get-Notifications. However, it is particularly important for IPPGET, since
    a client is likely to use persistent HTTP connections for a polled
    Get-Notifications and MUST use persistent HTTP persistent connections for
    Event Wait Mode Get-Notifications.

    RFC 2616 "Hypertext Transfer Protocol -- HTTP/1.1" says:

        8.1 Persistent Connections

        8.1.4 Practical Considerations

           Clients that use persistent connections SHOULD limit the number of
           simultaneous connections that they maintain to a given server. A
           single-user client SHOULD NOT maintain more than 2 connections with
           any server or proxy.

    We may want to add some sort of reference to the HTTP standard about
    persistent connections in the IPPGET Transport and Encoding section, OK?

    Tom