IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP> Notification Subscriptions across

RE: IPP> Notification Subscriptions across Power Cycles

From: Hastings, Tom N (hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Date: Wed Sep 05 2001 - 19:41:20 EDT

    Dennis,

    Good catch that this thread has been only talking about Per-Job
    Subscriptions and needs to talk about Per-Printer Subscriptions as well. I
    agree that having Per-Job Subscriptions being persistent without Per-Printer
    Subscriptions would be strange. However, how about the opposite? If an
    implementation doesn't have persistent Jobs or Per-job Subscriptions, it
    might still choose to have persistent Per-Printer Subscriptions, right?

    The deleted June 2000 statement was:

    It is RECOMMENDED that all Subscription Objects be persistent.

    So the thinking back then applied to both Per-Job and Per-Printer
    Subscriptions.

    So how about the following sentence:

    If Jobs are persistent, i.e., are preserved across power cycles, then
    Per-Job and Per-Printer Subscription Objects MUST be persistent too.

    As to whether we need a way for the client to tell whether or not the
    Printer supports persistent subscriptions, the minutes of the July 12-13,
    2000 meeting show about the "notify-persistence" Subscription Template
    attribute had ISSUE 04 with it:

    ISSUE 04: It would be better for this attribute to be a Subscription
    Description attribute that the Printer sets to show whether the
    Object is persistent or not. Agree?

    No. The group agreed that this attribute is not useful. The entire
    section on notify-persistence will be removed.

    Thus the group did not want to indicate on a Subscription Object basis
    whether or not it was persistent (or let the client have a say).

    In May 17-18 2000 minutes, we agreed to the following change:

    12. Removed "persistent-jobs-supported" Printer Description attribute,
    since it has nothing to do with Notifications and is not needed to describe
    Subscription object persistence.

    As I recall the reasoning against having a Printer Description attribute
    that indicated whether or not Subscription objects were persistent, is
    because a Printer might run out of resource for keeping subscriptions
    persistent, so that such a promise might not be able to be honored.

    Tom