IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP> RE: Mandatory Delivery Method for

RE: IPP> RE: Mandatory Delivery Method for Notifications - Commen ts by April 15

From: McDonald, Ira (imcdonald@sharplabs.com)
Date: Mon Apr 01 2002 - 13:36:46 EST

    Hi Michael,

    The IETF could eliminate SMTP over TLS (RFC 3207), because it's
    hop-by-hop security (only works well _within_ an enterprise
    network, which is of course one of the best IPP environments).

    But both S/MIME v3 and OpenPGP are recent and Proposed Std.
    Do you know if OpenPGP is any more common in infrastructure
    and clients than S/MIME? Annecdotally, the IETF Registrar
    (for conferences), the RFC Editor and others regularly post
    their OpenPGP public keys on their Web pages, but I don't
    see S/MIME keys usually.

    Cheers,
    - Ira McDonald