IPP Mail Archive: IPP> FW: Did you comment on IPP URL Scheme?

From: Carl (carl@manros.com)
Date: Tue Apr 09 2002 - 22:41:28 EDT

    one more

    Carl-Uno Manros
    10701 S Eastern Ave #1117
    Henderson, NV 89052, USA
    Tel +1-702-617-9414
    Fax +1-702-617-9417
    Mob +1-310-251-7103
    Email carl@manros.com

    -----Original Message-----
    From: ned.freed@mrochek.com [mailto:ned.freed@mrochek.com]
    Sent: Tuesday, April 02, 2002 11:55 AM
    To: McDonald, Ira
    Cc: 'ned.freed@mrochek.com'; McDonald, Ira; 'carl@manros.com';
    'bob@herriot.com'; 'hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com'
    Subject: Re: Did you comment on IPP URL Scheme?

    > Hi Ned,

    > During the IETF 'last call' on the IPP URL scheme (December 2001), did
    > you have any specific comments we should address?

    > ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipp-url-scheme-04.txt
    > (10 January 2002)

    I posted the following comment to the list on 10-Jan-2002:

     This document should make it clear that it updates RFC 2910.

     This document repeatedly says that both RFC 2373 and RFC 2732 update
     RFC 2396, but only RFC 2732 actually does this. As such, only RFC 2732
     should be listed.

     Section 4.1 should make it clear that this URL scheme is used to designate
     entities that implement the IPP protocol rather than being used as an IPP
     protocol element.

     The same paragraph occurs 4 times in the document: the first
     2/3 of the abstract, and in section 1, 4.5, and 6. Repeating something in
    the
     in the document proper, but the other repetitions should be eliminated.

     There are no examples of URLs referring to jobs, only several examples of
    URLs
     referring to printers. Jobs seem like a much more interesting use of ipp
    URLs,
     especially returned in the job-uri: response to a job submission, so
    examples
     of them should be included if possible.

     The second paragraph of section 4.5 appears to be a repeat of section 4.1,
    and
     should be removed.

     The title of section 4.5 is "IPP URL Scheme Syntax in ABNF" but the section
     includes a lot of material besides the ABNF. "IPP URL Scheme Syntax" might
     be a better title.

     The second paragraph of section 4.5.1 uses the term "may represent" in a
    couple
     of places. This makes it sound like (a) These are the only possible
    functions
     of the last element of a URL and (b) Only the last element of the URL can
     perform these functions. One possible way to make this clearer would be to
    say
     "might represent" rather than "may represent".

     Section 4.5.1 includes several examples of IPv6 URLs near the end. It is
     intended that explicit IPv6 URLs will only be used in emergencies, so it
    isn't
     appropriate to include such examples in this document.

     Security considerations for URL schemes may be different than security
     considerations for the protocols that the URL schemes designate. There are
     set of questions associated with URL schemes in section 2.4 of RFC 2718
    that
     should be answered in this document.

     Security considerations for URL schemes may be different than security
     considerations for the protocols that the URL schemes designate. There are
     set of questions associated with URL schemes in section 2.4 of RFC 2718
    that
     should be answered in this document.

    As far as I can tell you haven't addressed a bunch of these.

                                    Ned