IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP> RE: Mandatory Delivery Method for

RE: IPP> RE: Mandatory Delivery Method for Notifications - Commen ts by April 15

From: Dennis Carney (dcarney@us.ibm.com)
Date: Mon Apr 15 2002 - 21:53:12 EDT

    So, let's say I have an IPP client that does not have a status GUI (job
    submitter only); or an IPP client that implements status, but does it by
    polling.

    Then I see the notifications drafts and I think that a nice option to allow
    my users is that if the printer supports e-mail notifications, I will allow
    them to give me their email address and I will register them for email
    notifications.

    However, my client cannot claim to be an "IPP notifications compliant"
    client because it hasn't implemented ippget. So to become compliant, I
    must "implement"/"support" ippget, *even if* my client is not going to use
    it? Hmmm, so since I'm not going to use it, I guess I don't have to test
    my implementation very hard. But come to think of it, if I'm not going to
    use it, no one can actually tell (by sniffing or any other method) whether
    I have implemented it correctly (they can tell I didn't use it, but can't
    tell whether my unused implementation code works or not). So I guess I can
    just claim I support ippget--no one can prove me wrong!

    This is what I'm trying to get at when I wonder what it means to force a
    client to support something. Each client uses the interfaces necessary for
    it to get its job done. Forcing it to issue ippget calls then simply throw
    out the results, just so it can be compliant and have the buzzwords on its
    marketing material, seems to be a mistake to me.

    Dennis Carney
    IBM Printing Systems

                          "Hastings, Tom N"
                          <hastings@cp10.es To: "McDonald, Ira" <imcdonald@sharplabs.com>, Harry
                          .xerox.com> Lewis/Boulder/IBM@IBMUS, "Hastings, Tom N" <hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com>
                          Sent by: cc: Dennis Carney/Boulder/IBM@IBMUS, ipp@pwg.org
                          owner-ipp@pwg.org Subject: RE: IPP> RE: Mandatory Delivery Method for Notifications - Commen
                                                    ts by April 15

                          04/15/02 12:26 PM

    Harry,

    I agree with Ira. Furthermore, the advantage of having the client
    conformance requirements (as well as the Printer conformance requirements),
    is that a client implementor knows that his/her conforming notifications
    implementation will interoperate with any Printer that is also a conforming
    notifications implementation.

    BTW, the reason that we didn't have client conformance requirements in the
    original Notifications and Subscriptions spec, is because we didn't have
    agreement on any REQUIRED Delivery Method for the Printer when it supports
    Notification. So now that we have agreement for the Printer, we can add
    that requirement for the client (conditional on the client supporting
    notifications at all).

    Tom