IPP Mail Archive: IPP> NOT - IPP Event Notifications (09) an

From: Hastings, Tom N (hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Date: Wed Jul 03 2002 - 16:07:17 EDT

    I've edited the IPP Event Notifications and Subscriptions spec and the
    IPPGET Delivery Method specs following the comments of our Area Director,
    Ned Freed, and making IPPGET the REQUIRED Delivery Method if IPP Event
    Notifications is supported. I submitted both updated documents as
    Internet-Drafts in time for the deadline (7/1/02) for this upcoming IETF
    meeting. They will be announced this week or next. In the meantime here
    are the URLs on the PWG site for these documents.

    Also neither spec mentions any of the other Delivery Method specs, in case
    we can't get them to meet the security requirements of the IESG.

    Carl-Uno will announce a new IPP WG Last Call on these documents as soon as
    the Internet-Drafts are announced. (But you can get a head start if you
    want).

    Also I've read the increased requirements for RFCs and fixed the documents
    accordingly. For example, References are separated into Normative
    References and Informative References. If any Normative References are to
    Internet-Drafts, instead of RFCs, then the document making the reference is
    held up until the referenced document becomes an RFC as well. So these two
    notification documents have to proceed together, since they cross reference
    each other.

    Also they want the authors on the first page to be those who actually did
    the writing. Bob Herriot and I did the writing and editing of these
    documents, so our names remain on the first page. So I've moved the other
    names that were on the first page to a new section called Contributors which
    is right in front of the Authors' Addresses section and I've indicated their
    contribution, as the new IETF procedures indicate.

    I've also re-ordered the sections according to the latest preferred order
    (but with revision marks turned off).

    Here are the URLs followed by the (updated) Abstracts for each. The -rev
    versions show the revisions (mainly in the Access Rights sections,
    conformance sections, and the Security Considerations sections

    Internet Printing Protocol (IPP): Event Notifications and Subscriptions

    ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_NOT/draft-ietf-ipp-not-spec-09.txt
    ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_NOT/ipp-not-spec-020627-rev.doc
    ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_NOT/ipp-not-spec-020627-rev.pdf
    ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_NOT/ipp-not-spec-020627.doc
    ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_NOT/ipp-not-spec-020627.pdf
    ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_NOT/ipp-not-spec-020627.txt

    Abstract

    This document describes an OPTIONAL extension to the Internet Printing
    Protocol/1.1: Model and Semantics (RFC 2911, RFC 2910). This extension
    allows a client to subscribe to printing related Events. Subscriptions are
    modeled as Subscription Objects. The Subscription Object specifies that when
    one of the specified Events occurs, the Printer sends an asynchronous Event
    Notification to the specified Notification Recipient via the specified Push
    or Pull Delivery Method (i.e., protocol).

    A client associates Subscription Objects with a particular Job by performing
    the Create-Job-Subscriptions operation or by submitting a Job with
    subscription information. A client associates Subscription Objects with the
    Printer by performing a Create-Printer-Subscriptions operation. Four other
    operations are defined for Subscription Objects:
    Get-Subscriptions-Attributes, Get-Subscriptions, Renew- Subscription, and
    Cancel-Subscription.

    Internet Printing Protocol (IPP): The 'ippget' Delivery Method for Event
    Notifications
    ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_NOT/draft-ietf-ipp-notify-get-07.txt
    ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_NOT/ipp-not-spec-020627-rev.doc
    ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_NOT/ipp-not-spec-020627-rev.pdf
    ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_NOT/ipp-not-spec-020627.doc
    ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_NOT/ipp-not-spec-020627.pdf
    ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_NOT/ipp-not-spec-020627.txt

    Abstract

    This document describes an extension to the Internet Printing Protocol/1.1:
    Model and Semantics (RFC 2911, RFC 2910). This document specifies the
    'ippget' Delivery Method for use with the "Internet Printing Protocol (IPP):
    Event Notifications and Subscriptions" specification. When IPP Notification
    [ipp-ntfy] is supported, the Delivery Method defined in this document is the
    REQUIRED Delivery Method for clients and Printers to support. They MAY
    support additional Delivery Methods.

    The 'ippget' Delivery Method is a Pull Delivery Method. When an Event
    occurs, the Printer saves the Event Notification for a period of time called
    the Event Life. The Notification Recipient fetches (pulls) Event
    Notifications using the Get-Notifications operation. If the Notification
    Recipient has selected the Event Wait Mode option to wait for additional
    Event Notifications, the Printer continues to return Event Notifications to
    the Notification Recipient as Get-Notification responses as Events occur
    using the connection originated by the Notification Recipient.

    Either the Notification Recipient or the Printer can terminate Event Wait
    Mode without closing the connection.

    Tom