IPP Mail Archive: IPP> First Draft IPP Production Printing A

From: Hastings, Tom N (hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Date: Fri Aug 23 2002 - 07:12:10 EDT

    I've down loaded a first draft proposal for a second set of IPP Production
    Printing attributes to be processed as a PWG IEEE-ISTO standard, just like
    the first set of Production Printing Attribute (IEEE-ISTO 5100.3). Its 70
    pages. We propose to process it on the IPP mailing list, rather than at a
    face to face meeting, partly because there are no IPP face to face meeting
    scheduled and partly because production printing isn't of interest to every
    one. However, we wanted to test with others if using the mailing list (and
    any teleconferences that might be needed) was sufficient. In case the IPP
    participants feel that we should process the document at a face to face
    meeting instead, then we should allocate some time at the next PWG meeting
    November 4-8 in New Orleans.

    I hope that how to process this document and similar IPP extension documents
    can be discussed at next week's PWG meeting.

    Here are the documents:

    ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_PPE/pwg-ipp-prod-print-set2-draft-v0_1-020
    821.pdf 300Kb
    ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_PPE/pwg-ipp-prod-print-set2-draft-v0_1-020
    821.doc 500Kb

    This specification has no outstanding issues listed, except some TBDs for
    the IANA Registry section to finish listing exactly what will go in the IANA
    Registry. I've been working with IANA and we've come up with a simpler flat
    file that will hold all attributes, values, operations, status code, tags.

    Here is the Abstract:

    This document specifies an extension to the Internet Printing Protocol/1.0
    (IPP) [RFC2565, RFC2566] and IPP/1.1 [RFC2910, RFC2911]. This extension
    consists primarily of OPTIONAL Job Template for submitting print jobs
    primarily (but not limited) to production printers. These Job Template
    attributes permit a user to save jobs for later reprinting, provide a
    recipient name and a job phone number, provide the feed orientation, provide
    the font name and font size, hold a job until a specific date and time,
    specify an interpreter initialization file, and print a proof print(s) of
    the job prior to printing the full run of the job.
    There are also Printer Description attributes to list the Job Creation
    attributes supported, indicate whether jobs are spooled, and list the set of
    media collections supported.
    In addition, semantics for Attribute Precedence, a Queue Override
    capability, and the capability to guarantee protocol precedence over the PDL
    attribute are defined.

    Here is the summary list from the Introduction table:

    Operation attributes:
    job-password (octetString(255)) - password for secure printing
    job-password-encryption (type3 keyword | name(MAX)) - password encryption
    method for secure printing

    Job Template attributes:
    feed-orientation (type3 keyword) - media edge to be fed into the print
    engine from the paper tray
    font-name-requested (name(MAX)) - font name when missing from the document
    data (e.g. text documents)
    font-size-requested (integer (1:MAX)) - font size when missing from the
    document data (e.g. text documents)
    job-hold-until-time (dateTime) - hold the job until the supplied date and
    time
    job-phone-number (text(127)) - contact telephone number for the job
    job-recipient-name (name(MAX)) - name of the person that is to receive the
    output of the job
    job-save-disposition (collection) - save the Document Data of a job, such
    that the job can be re-printed
    pdl-init-file (1setOf collection) - controls initialization of the Printer's
    PDL interpreter(s)
    proof-print (collection) - control a proof print of the job before printing
    a full run of the job

    Job Description attribute:
    job-printer-make-and-model (text(127))-make and model of the output device
    which saved this job

    Printer Description attributes:
    job-creation-attributes-supported (1setOf type2 keyword) - set of Job
    Creation attributes supported
    job-password-supported (integer(0:127)) - maximum unencrypted password
    length supported
    job-password-encryption-supported (1setOf (type3 keyword | name(MAX))) -
    encryption methods supports for Secure Print
    job-spooling-supported (type2 keyword) - indicates whether or not jobs are
    spooled before printing
    max-save-info-supported (integer(1:MAX)) - maximum number of "save-info"
    member attribute collections that a Printer can accept
    media-col-database (1setOf collection) - set of media collections available
    in the printer's media database
    printer-detailed-status-messages (1setOf text(MAX)) - additional detailed
    and technical information about the printer
    which-jobs-supported (1setOf type2 keyword) - supported values for the
    "which-jobs" operation attribute of the Get-Jobs operation

    Please send any comments to the IPP DL.

    Thanks,
    Tom