IPP Mail Archive: Re: IPP> Re: IFX> Attempt to close on t

Re: IPP> Re: IFX> Attempt to close on the two Notification specs at theface to face meetings

From: Michael Sweet (mike@easysw.com)
Date: Wed Aug 28 2002 - 08:11:55 EDT

    Robert Herriot wrote:
    > Michael Sweet has said that his software does not support redirection (I
    > assume this includes the client and server). If most printer vendors
    > were finding redirection a necessity, would he reconsider his position
    > for clients?

    Actually, what I said was that CUPS wouldn't use redirection, since
    the CUPS server already has the resources to handle hundreds (and
    in some configurations, thousands) of simultaneous connections.

    That doesn't mean that we wouldn't support redirect in our clients,
    but thus far none of the core CUPS release will even use IPPGET
    (aside from the test suite) - that's more an issue for ESP Print
    Pro, and it will be communicating with CUPS servers exclusively...

    So, basically I *don't care* if redirect is in the spec or not;
    it's optional in the server, and we just don't need to implement
    it for the CUPS server.

    My only concern is how the redirect/optimal stuff will affect
    getting this stuff through the IETF - if the current spec will
    have problems just because of the redirect, then I vote to
    remove it for now - we can always update the IETF spec or
    create a PWG extension to the IETF spec that explains how to
    do redirection in IPP (and if we want a general-purpose solution
    for this, then that would almost make more sense...)

    Michael Sweet, Easy Software Products                  mike@easysw.com